Agenda for 20 May 2017
The Donauturm Edit War
- Donauturm in Vienna (Danube Tower, Дунайская башня)
- "The Donauturm is a lookout tower." was changed to: "The Donauturm is a television and lookout tower."
- "[…] one of the most absurd clashes ever conducted in Wikipedia, filling pages full of insults and lecturings, reaching a length of more than 600,000 characters, as much as a book. It didn't take long and the discussion was no longer about the Donauturm. It was about the truth and about who had exclusive rights to it." (Mathieu von Rohr: Im Innern des Weltwissens, Der Spiegel 16/2010, quote transl. by FF)
- "The German Wikipedia had an approximately 600,000-character discussion about the suitable title and categories, as some authors, many of them Austrian, regarded the Donauturm as a mere observation tower. The Spiegel coverage of the issue cited a participant with 'On good days, Wikipedia is better than any TV soap'." (English Wikipedia)
Some Wiki Syntax
- This is an example for a footnote.
- Signature with time stamp: -- ~~~~ (useful for discussion pages)
Homework (due 27 May 2017)
- Create account
- Identify an article gap in Wikipedia
- Start writing your article
- maybe upload a picture ("no copyrighted work without permission")